Rubicon Consulting is currently recruiting for a Firmware Engineer on a 12 month contract based in Stafford.
This position falls inside IR35
The Lead Firmware Developer will be working to define requirements, enhance product features for an electronic design for world-class Control & Protection system in VSC and LCC systems, working together with engineers based global locations. The role is accountable for business-critical development to meet product requirements and timelines for future commercial HVDC projects.
Responsibilities of the Firmware Engineer:
- Analysing system requirements and defining functions to be implemented in Hardware.
- FPGA Firmware development.
- Analogue and digital Hardware design.
- Maintain legacy products including updates and improvements to extend product life span.
- Contribution to creating and maintaining manufacturing data packs.
- Writing functional specifications for design.
- Writing test specifications (Routine test, Type test).
- Participating in and contributing to design reviews.
- Ensuring designs are documented to Company standards.
- Supporting site activities.
Requirements of the Firmware Engineer:-
- Degree or Higher in Electrical/Electronic engineering.
- Significant experience of FPGA design using VHDL or Verilog.
- Advanced/Recent experience of Model Based Design using MATLAB Simulink.
- Good experience with HDL Coder or System Generator
- Strong all-round knowledge and understanding of electronic components & principles.
- Strong hardware/FPGA debugging skills with QuestaSIM, ModelSIM.
- Experience with Altera, Microsemi, Xilinx FPGA devices and design tools (Quartus II, Libero SoC).
- Dynamic and proactive with ability to work on own or as part of a multi-disciplinary engineering team to resolve technical issues.
• Experience of designing hardware for real time control applications.
• High-speed digital hardware design and PCB layout skills.
• Scripting experience using Perl, Python
• Experience of version control, e.g., SVN, GIT
• Bug tracking tools, e.g., JIRA
• Power Electronics control system design.
• Knowledge of HVDC is a plus.
• Good verbal and written communication skills.
• Motivated great teammate, self-starter, results oriented.
• Agile development practices e.g., Scrum